Posted on

I was just served with divorce paperwork, what do I do?

If you received divorce paperwork you should have received a document called a “Summons and Complaint”, form MC 01 (at the bottom).  Read this form carefully.  This form will tell you how many days you have to file an “Answer” to the Complaint for Divorce.

You have 21 days after receipt of the Summons to file an Answer if you were served by way of personal service.  If you were served by mail, you have 28 days to file and Answer, or take other legal action.  You must file an Answer (possibly multiple copies) with the court and serve a copy on the other party, or the other party’s attorney.

If you do not file an Answer you are subjecting yourself to be in default.  A judgment may be entered against you in favor of the other party’s requests. You are also subjecting yourself from being precluded from participating in the divorce action.